Persuasive Essay Topics on Family
In their exploration of topics concerning family, students are hereby advised to expand their perspectives beyond their personal experiences.
- The modern family is facing an existential crisis.
- Placing children in foster care is essentially condemning them to a life of hardship and misery.
- Stay-at-home fathers are just as capable of taking care of children as mothers.
- As more women join the workforce, families could lose their stability.
- The reluctance by millennials to marry and have children presents a problem for American society.
- Children of divorced parents have poor developmental outcomes.
- Mixed-race families deal with unique challenges that are not experienced by single-race families.
- Domestic violence has adverse effects on the development of children.
- Sexual violence inside marriages is a serious problem that requires urgent solutions.
- Same-sex couples are just as capable of bringing up healthy children as their opposite-sex counterparts.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Education
Education-related topics are best handled through an approach that envisions a new form of education that places focus on the needs of learners.
- College education is pointless.
- There exist racial and income disparities in the quality of education in the US.
- Schools should implement stringent no substance abuse policies.
- School boards should be disbanded and schools placed under the direct control of government authorities.
- Schools in poor neighborhoods are poorly equipped to serve their purpose.
- College tuition should be done away with.
- Religious education should not be offered in public schools.
- Prayers should be permitted within school premises.
- Teachers should not be allowed to publicly wear items that convey religious messages or have religious significance.
- Compared to other developed nations, the quality of education in the US is unacceptably poor.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Politics and Government
For subjects concerning politics and government, teachers should allow high school students to infuse their personal views into the essays that they write.
- Local governments are more effective than state and federal governments in responding to disasters.
- The US federal government is needlessly bloated and should therefore be trimmed.
- Bureaucracy frustrates the delivery of public services.
- Public institutions in the US are embarrassingly incompetent, inefficient, and ineffective.
- The US federal government should eliminate such agencies as the Environmental Protection Agency.
- The government should have the powers to intervene in personal matters that present implications for the public.
- There should be limits on the number of terms that Congressmen and women can serve.
- Washington D.C. and Puerto Rico should be granted statehood.
- The national drinking age should be set at 18.
- The sex offender registry is not an effective deterrent.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Technology
Essays on technology need to reflect the trends and developments being witnessed today.
- Google and Facebook collect too much personal data.
- Stricter enforcement of anti-trust laws is needed in the US.
- Technology companies should pay users for access to their data.
- Companies like Facebook should install backdoors on such applications as WhatsApp.
- Law enforcement agencies should be able to compel technology companies to give up personal user data.
- Privacy of users should never be sacrificed in the pursuit of national security.
- Firms like Google should be barred from doing business with enemies of the US.
- Huawei poses a threat to the national security of the US.
- 5G technology will revolutionize medicine.
- The intellectual property laws in the US impede technological innovation.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Gender
While gender-related topics can be sensitive and controversial, they should be approached with sobriety and students should strive to develop balanced and substantiated arguments.
- Affirmative action is inherently unfair.
- Women should not be hired because of their gender but because they are qualified for the position in question.
- Companies are not taking adequate measures to protect women against sexual harassment and violence in the workplace.
- The US trails behind other nation with regard to gender equality.
- The Equal Rights Amendment is not adequate to guarantee protection for all women.
- The experiences of white women are vastly different from those of women of color.
- The MeToo movement is needlessly aggressive in its pursuit of equality for women.
- Having power does not necessarily protect women against harassment.
- The modern workplace is still dangerous for women.
- Colleges should set up safe spaces for female students.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Health and Wellness
When they write about health and wellness, high school students need to consult research evidence. Additionally, they should not be afraid to confront controversial subjects.
- E-cigarettes carry serious health risks.
- Universal health care is simply unattainable in the US.
- Obese individuals are more likely to die from COVID-19.
- The US response to the coronavirus pandemic has been inadequate.
- Misinformation is hindering efforts to protect public health.
- Pharmaceutical companies are among the main enemies of public health in the US.
- Trying to lose weight through exercise alone is unwise.
- The anti-vaccination movement has valid and legitimate concerns.
- Food deserts across the US are among the primary drivers of the high prevalence of obesity.
- Masks are effective in protecting individuals, especially the vulnerable, against contracting the coronavirus.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Entertainment, Culture, and Arts
Entertainment, culture, and arts offer students platforms to celebrate their heritages while acknowledging that more needs to be done to create a more inclusive society.
- Diversity can help the US to further develop its entertainment, culture, and arts scenes.
- Cultural appropriation could harm racial and ethnic relations in the US.
- More spaces are needed for people of color to exhibit their culture.
- The US has silenced minorities for decades.
- Video games are a valid form of cultural expression.
- Entertainment, culture, and arts should have their own fully-fledged government department.
- With regard to cultural diversity and the richness of entertainment, the US lags behind other countries.
- The glorification of violence in music videos is undermines efforts to promote safety.
- American schools need to adopt more culturally diverse and inclusive curricula.
- Latin music is measurably and objectively superior to country music.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Science
Science has dozens of interesting topics that could serve as the subjects of high school essays. It is advised that students should provide ample and credible evidence to support their assertions.
- Space tourism will be a reality within the next 30 years.
- Artificial intelligence will revolutionize air travel.
- Genetically modified foods are safe and are the key to global food security.
- Ancestry tracing is a scam.
- Having more women in science will facilitate progress.
- Electric vehicles are the future of transportation.
- Science will help humanity to achieve greater longevity.
- Greener energy solutions will soon replace fossil fuels.
- Robots will replace millions of workers in the coming years.
- Science could help to bring world peace.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Environment
As they explore topics that concern the environment, students should use their essays to communicate their personal positions regarding the need for humanity to respond to such issues as climate change with a sense of urgency.
- Unless it takes urgent steps to protect the environment, humanity is doomed.
- Poor countries are paying the heaviest price for climate change.
- Developed nations should pay more for environmental conservation efforts.
- The US decision to withdraw from the Paris Climate Agreement was unwise.
- US leadership is needed for the war on global warming to be won.
- Climate change skeptics are hampering efforts to reverse global warming.
- Economic interests are taking precedence over environmental conservation.
- Dietary changes promise to accelerate the reversal of climate change.
- Such sensitive areas as the Arctic should be protected at all costs.
- Schools have an important role to play in environmental protection efforts.
Persuasive Essay Topics on Business
Business topics are supposed to be handled delicately and with the goal of providing clarity on contentious subjects.
- The federal corporate tax is too low.
- The government should crack down on big companies that evade taxes.
- Tax breaks help the rich at the expense of the poor.
- Philanthropic donations should not be tax-deductible.
- Many small businesses fail because of limited government support.
- Small firms are the backbone of the American economy.
- Businesses should be required to meet set gender representation quotas for their workforces.
- The hospitality industry will require months to recover from the coronavirus pandemic.
- Large technology companies like Amazon should be broken up.
- Tighter regulation of Wall Street is needed.
In conclusion, while they are extensive, the lists above are by no means exhaustive. There are many other persuasive essay topics for high school. Whatever topic they choose, teachers should see to it that the topic engages all of their students’ critical faculties. Also, check out our persuasive essay topics for middle school and college students